Tower Hamlets Mayor wants to reassure residents Olympics will run smoothly
Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman was today joined by Olympic torch bearer and Young Mayor Nahimul Islam on the running track at Mile End Stadium.
Mr Rahman was also joined by Olympic volunteers and council staff at the stadium, where US athletes will be training during the Games, last Thursday.
The Mayor wanted to reassure residents that services would be running smoothly despite the Games, according to a council statement.
Mr Rahman said: “The Games are a once in a lifetime opportunity for Tower Hamlets and the chance for the borough to shine on an international platform.
“We are ready for the Games and have been planning for the greatest sporting event on earth to ensure residents reap the benefits and any disruption is minimised.
You may also want to watch:
“Even if you were not lucky enough to secure one of the 400 tickets the council purchased for residents there are many ways to soak up the Olympic atmosphere by visiting the Live Site at Victoria Park or one of the many Youth Sites across Tower Hamlets.”
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green