Search

Tower Hamlets mayoral candidate urges government to scrap school funding plans

PUBLISHED: 12:37 21 March 2017 | UPDATED: 12:39 21 March 2017

Independent candidate for mayor of Tower Hamlets Councillor Ohid Ahmed has written to the secretary of state for education urging her to abandon proposals which would see every school in the borough lose money.

Independent candidate for mayor of Tower Hamlets Councillor Ohid Ahmed has written to the secretary of state for education urging her to abandon proposals which would see every school in the borough lose money.

Archant

An independent candidate for mayor and Tower Hamlets councillor has urged the government to reconsider its plans to change school funding.

Cllr Ohid Ahmed has written to the secretary of state for education, Justine Greening, after a study published last week showed that every school in Tower Hamlets would lose money as a result of changes to the way school budgets are calculated.

In the letter Cllr Ahmed said that years of progress are being “put at risk” adding it seemed Tower Hamlets was being punished for its success.

He urged Justine Greening to reconsider the planned changes “before it is too late and before the life chances of many of our young people are affected”.

Commenting on the proposals after the letter was sent, Cllr Ahmed said: “This government has developed a nasty habit of taking from those that can afford the least and giving it to those who can afford the most.

“There is simply no justification for taking money away from our schools. Our hard-working students have proved that they can go the extra mile. Their achievements are held up as a role model for other parts of the country.”

In an earlier response defending the changes, minister for school standards Nick Gibb said that school funding is now at its highest level on record and is set to rise to £42bn in 2019-20 with increasing pupil numbers.

“Our proposed funding formula will help end historical unfairness so schools are funded according to their pupils’ needs, rather than by their postcode, with more than half set to receive a cash boost,” he said.

The consultation on the Department for Education’s proposals ends on Wednesday.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser