'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- Credit: PA
Tower Hamlets MPs have reacted to the stabbing of Southend West MP Sir David Amess.
The father-of-five was due to be holding a constituency surgery today (October 15) at Belfairs Methodist Church in Eastwood Road North, Leigh-on-Sea.
Essex Police said it was called to an address in that road just after 12.05pm and a man died at the scene after being stabbed.
Bethnal Green and Bow MP Rushanara Ali tweeted to describe the news of Sir David's stabbing as "utterly horrific", adding that her thoughts are with his family and staff.
Apsana Begum, Poplar and Limehouse MP, labelled reports Sir David had been attacked as "disturbing".
She also tweeted that her prayers and thoughts are with "his loved ones" and staff.
Sir David had represented Southend West for the Conservatives since 1997 and was Basildon MP for 14 years before that.
- 1 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 2 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 3 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 4 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
- 5 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 7 Moncur 'overwhelmed' to join Leyton Orient
- 8 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 9 Roman Road shop blaze 'believed to be accidental'
- 10 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
Police have arrested a 25-year-old man on suspicion of murder in connection with his death.