Tower Hamlets patients get GP care seven days a week
PATIENTS living in the north east of Tower Hamlets can now see a GP in the evenings and at the weekends at a new walk-in centre. In what has been branded as the future of healthcare in Tower Hamlets, St Andrew s Health Centre opened today in Devons Ro
PATIENTS living in the north east of Tower Hamlets can now see a GP in the evenings and at the weekends at a new walk-in centre.
In what has been branded as the "future" of healthcare in Tower Hamlets, St Andrew's Health Centre opened today in Devons Road for any patient in the borough wanting a doctor's appointment between 8am and 8pm, seven days a week.
The surgery, which is also open to 2,0000 registered patients, is one of only three walk-in-centres in Tower Hamlets, including the Barkantine on the Isle of Dogs and the Whitechapel Walk-in-Centre next-door to the Royal London Hospital.
And GP Sam Everington says he expects to see around 40 patients come through its doors each day and even more during the 2012 Olympics because of the centre's prime position.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Any patient can see a GP here. They can either just walk in or ring or come in via the NHS out-of-hours service.
"It takes a huge pressure away from hospitals and helps patients who are working during the day.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 7 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 8 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 9 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 10 Volunteers patrol streets after Isle of Dogs fatal stabbing
"And all the patients' information will be sent back to their own GP within 24 hours".
The centre, previously known as Devons Road Surgery which was based around the corner, was recently taken over by a team of GPs from nearby Bromley-By-Bow Health Centre after Dr Vijay Nishal retired.
And today NHS Tower Hamlets re-opened the centre under its new name at the Poplar Harca-owned Birchdown House.