Tower Hamlets patients to benefit from �200m Barts Cancer Centre
EAST End cancer sufferers will be able to receive some of the best treatment in the country from today with the new �200m Barts Cancer Centre. The nine-storey extension at St Bartholomew s Hospital is officially opening its doors for the first time this
EAST End cancer sufferers will be able to receive some of the best treatment in the country from today with the new �200m Barts Cancer Centre.
The nine-storey extension at St Bartholomew's Hospital is officially opening its doors for the first time this morning to offer state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment facilities, stem cell and gene therapies, radiotherapy and radio-surgery technology.
The centre in West Smithfield will be one of the only in the country to have five RapidArc linear accelerators that can deliver radiotherapy eight times faster and with pinpoint precision to more tumour sites than ever before.
Former patient and BBC Radio 2 presenter, Johnnie Walker will be dropping into the centre this morning to talk about his battle with cancer seven years ago.
You may also want to watch:
Barts' Cancer Director, Professor Nick Lemoine, said: "We can never be as complacent as to say we'll cure all cancer, but we believe we can, within 10 years, make it manageable, drastically reducing its impact on sufferers and their families.
- 1 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 2 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 3 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 6 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 7 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 8 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 9 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 10 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job