Tower Hamlets police fight jazz bar's bid to stay open till dawn
POLICE are hoping to block plans for an East End jazz bar and restaurant to stay open into the early hours of the morning. Liberty Lounge in Bell Lane in Spitalfields has applied for permission to extend its licence which would involve staying open unti
POLICE are hoping to block plans for an East End jazz bar and restaurant to stay open into the early hours of the morning.
Liberty Lounge in Bell Lane in Spitalfields has applied for permission to extend its licence which would involve staying open until 3am and selling late night refreshments between Wednesdays and Saturdays.
There would be live jazz music on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, recorded music until 3am on Fridays and Saturdays and it would be open until 22.40 during the rest of the week.
But PC Alan Cruickshank has called the request "excessive" and has suggested that the restaurant which is in a basement below a shop stays open until midnight.
You may also want to watch:
In a letter to Tower Hamlets council, PC Cruickshank said: "If the premise was to open past midnight I think there may be a danger of anti-social behaviour with people leaving the venue probably in high spirits or by just remaining around the street causing a public nuisance in the early hours of the morning."
Owner Rachid Radi insists he runs a "quiet bar and restaurant" which attracts city workers and jazz fans and is not situated near any residential properties which would "minimise the chance of it causing a nuisance to those around us".
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 6 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 9 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 10 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
The council's planning officers have also objected to the application.
The application will be discussed by the council's Licensing Sub Committee on Thursday night (19).