Tower Hamlets police officers carrying Tasers from this week
- Credit: Archant
Police in Tower Hamlets are carrying Taser guns on the beat from today.
The weapons are being rolled out to non-specialist officers, having previously only been issued to firearms officers.
The borough’s police force has been allocated eight Tasers, at a cost of around £1,000 each.
Those officers who will carry the weapons have undertaken a “rigorous” three day training programme in preparation.
Ch Insp Mick Sanderson, who is overseeing their introduction, said of the weapons: “It’s very effective.
You may also want to watch:
“It causes no long-term damage, and minimal short-term damage.”
The Metropolitan Police is currently in the process of introducing the weapons across all London boroughs.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park