Tower Hamlets police sting burglars with Operation Bumblebee
COPS are cracking down on burglars with ten extra officers taking to the streets of the East End. As part of Operation Bumblebee, a team of ten constables from Tower Hamlets police will be patrolling the areas identified as burglary hot-spots. Accordi
COPS are cracking down on burglars with ten extra officers taking to the streets of the East End.
As part of Operation Bumblebee, a team of ten constables from Tower Hamlets police will be patrolling the areas identified as burglary hot-spots.
According to police, burglaries in Tower Hamlets homes dropped by 31 per cent last year which marked the highest fall in London.
And despite a 10 per cent rise in thefts in the capital so far this year, Tower Hamlets has seen a nine per cent drop.
But the new team will be focusing on tackling `artifice' burglaries, where criminals impersonate electricians or plumbers so residents allow them into their homes.
The thieves are then escaping with thousands of pounds of pensioners' savings.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 7 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 8 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 9 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
Police are urging residents who may be in doubt to call 999 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 before they allow anyone into their home.