Tower Hamlets residents have chance to get free tickets for Danny Boyle’s Olympic ceremony rehearsals
More than 800 free tickets are up for grabs from today for Tower Hamlets residents —offering a sneak preview of the opening ceremony for the London Olympics.
Oscar winning film director Danny Boyle, who lives in Mile End, is in charge of putting together the show, expected to attract a global TV audience of up to a billion viewers.
The opening scene will see the Olympic Stadium transformed into the British countryside with a cast of 10,000 volunteer performers.
It will also feature real farmyard animals including 70 sheep, 12 horses, three cows, two goats, 10 chickens, 10 ducks, nine geese and three sheepdogs, along with people playing sports on the village green and farmers tilling the soil.
Boyle will also be collaborating with musical act Underworld for the soundtrack.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Council secured the prestigious tickets from Games organisers LOCOG.
The council will allocate tickets on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
Successful applicants will be required to help test the Olympic Stadium, as well as watch one of the final rehearsals for the Opening Ceremony.
Sign up to my.towerhamlets.gov.uk to apply for tickets.
Alternatively, residents can request a paper application form by calling 020 7364 501.
The deadline for applications is July 12 at 11.59pm.