Tower Hamlets residents have chance to get free tickets for Danny Boyle’s Olympic ceremony rehearsals
More than 800 free tickets are up for grabs from today for Tower Hamlets residents —offering a sneak preview of the opening ceremony for the London Olympics.
Oscar winning film director Danny Boyle, who lives in Mile End, is in charge of putting together the show, expected to attract a global TV audience of up to a billion viewers.
The opening scene will see the Olympic Stadium transformed into the British countryside with a cast of 10,000 volunteer performers.
It will also feature real farmyard animals including 70 sheep, 12 horses, three cows, two goats, 10 chickens, 10 ducks, nine geese and three sheepdogs, along with people playing sports on the village green and farmers tilling the soil.
Boyle will also be collaborating with musical act Underworld for the soundtrack.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Council secured the prestigious tickets from Games organisers LOCOG.
The council will allocate tickets on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 9 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
Successful applicants will be required to help test the Olympic Stadium, as well as watch one of the final rehearsals for the Opening Ceremony.
Sign up to my.towerhamlets.gov.uk to apply for tickets.
Alternatively, residents can request a paper application form by calling 020 7364 501.
The deadline for applications is July 12 at 11.59pm.