Tower Hamlets residents urged to line streets and join party for Olympic torch on Saturday
Residents are urged to line the streets and join the celebrations as the Olympic Torch reaches Tower Hamlets this Saturday (July 21).
The flame begins its route around Tower Hamlets at around 1.50pm when it reaches Bow Road from Newham. The torch will continue down Bow Road to Mile End Road before reaching Stepney Green Park at 2.20pm, where it will stop for about an hour as it is showcased on a main stage during a free community party.
The party in the park in Stepney Way will feature performances, workshops and activities aimed at residents of all ages from 12noon to 5pm,
Among the performances are winners of CBBC Sport Relief TV series Does Glee Club 2012, Faye Guy, Redcoat Girls Project Dance Group, Soytten Sen School of Performing Arts, Fabulous Lounge Swingers and Bowjangles combining music and dance moves.
Free activities for children and families including a bouncy castle, climbing wall, workshops and face painting will also be put on.
You may also want to watch:
A sports area will allow residents to take part in team relays, volleyball, mini tennis, trampolining and more.
Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman will give a speech on the park stage at 3.30pm after the torch has left.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
As the torch leaves the park at 3.25pm it will continue through the borough up to Whitechapel Road and Commercial Street before reaching Hackney at 3.55pm.
Residents are also invited to line the streets along the route which can be viewed at www.london2012.com/olympictorchrelay.
There will be rolling road closures as the torch travels through the borough.