Tower Hamlets set for Jubilee street parties
Residents across Tower Hamlets have been hanging out the bunting ahead of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations this weekend.
The council has now received 35 applications from residents to hold street parties, and is also planning to host a free outdoor party at Mile End Park to mark the occasion.
The party will kick off on Monday, June 4 from 1.30pm, and is expected to continue until 8.30pm, with a range of attractions including, fun-fair rides, sports games and arts and crafts.
Lutfur Rahman, Mayor of Tower Hamlets, is looking forward to a weekend of parties across the borough.
He said: “This promises to be a very special year with the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations and the Olympics. In Tower Hamlets we are working hard to ensure residents can be part of the special atmosphere and can be a part of the festivities. The Jubilee party in Mile End Park gives everyone the chance to have fun and pay tribute to the Queen at the same time.”
You may also want to watch:
Following the conclusion of the party, the festivities will continue in the Art Park in Clinton Road, where Mayor Rahman will light a beacon which which will be a part of a network of more than 4000 to be lit by commuinties across the UK.
As well as events put on by the council, there will be a number of parties hosted by other members of the community. Ocean Youth Connections, an organisation set up to help disadvantaged youths from the Ocean Estate, are planning a barbecue. The group hopes to educate young people and prevent them from falling into trouble, and youth worker Imran Khan believes events such as Tuesday’s can help bring the community spirit back to Tower Hamlets.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 8 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 9 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 10 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
He said: “We normally have a barbecue every year anyway, and this year we want to make it a big celebration to mark the Jubilee. Hopefully having the barbecue can help bring the community together, establish bonds between residents, and bridge the gap between the young and the elderly.”
The party will be held from 2pm on Tuesday, June 5 at the Ocean Estate tenants’ association on Ernest Street.