Tower Hamlets shoppers donated 8,608 meals to charity over Christmas
- Credit: Ev Sekkides
Tower Hamlets’ supermaket shoppers have donated 8,608 meals to charity this Christmas.
Tesco’s Newham stores have been taking customer donations for food distribution charity FareShare and foodbank The Trussell Trust.
Shoppers were asked to give long-life items to be given to those who need it, with Tesco adding 20 per cent to all donations collected
Nationally Tesco shoppers have donated more than 49 million meals.
Lindsay Boswell, FareShare CEO, said: “The food donated will make a tremendous difference to the thousands of charities and community groups that FareShare supports.”
You may also want to watch:
Samantha Stapley, operations manager at The Trussell Trust, said: “Our foodbank network has spent the last month making sure people referred to them with no money for food do not go hungry this Christmas.”
Both extended their thanks to Tower Hamlet’s Tesco shoppers.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims