Tower Hamlets second worst for business survival rates in London, study reveals
- Credit: Stanton Williams/CWG
The East End has one of the lowest startup business survival rates in the capital, research has revealed.
Just over one in three - 35.6 per cent - of new ventures included in the analysis last five years or more in the borough, BusinessComparison.com's study shows.
Of 3,315 Tower Hamlets based businesses which started in 2013, 1,180 were still operating in 2018.
The numbers were crunched from the latest business demography statistics from the Office for National Statistics.
Lambeth and Islington have been excluded as their figures are potentially unreliable due to the high number of businesses registrations at single postcodes.
You may also want to watch:
Ranked second from bottom out of 31 boroughs, Tower Hamlets sits between last placed Newham and Barking and Dagenham which respectively saw 34.9pc and 36.7pc of businesses survive the five year mark, the study shows.
Bromley was named the capital's startup hotspot with 46.6pc of new firms still around after half a decade.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
However, London ranked bottom out of 12 UK regions on 39.4pc compared to top placed south west England on 45.6pc.
London's 1.08 million self-employed, micro and small businesses, make up 99.3pc of all private sector businesses, turnover £500billion cumulatively and employ 2.3million people, according to the Federation of Small Businesses.