Tower Hamlets taking public for a ride over Vicky Park
THE future of East London’s Victoria Park may depend on a lot of hot air the Town Hall is generating. Council officials are inviting the public to take trips in a hot air balloon over Vicky Park today (Saturday) and tomorrow to see what it looks like from 90ft up
THE future of East London's Victoria Park may depend on a lot of hot air the Town Hall is generating.
Council officials are inviting the public to take trips in a hot air balloon over Vicky Park today (Saturday) and tomorrow to see what it looks like from 90ft up.
It's part of a public consultation by Tower Hamlets which is bidding for Lottery cash to completely restore the park before the 2012 Olympics.
Draft plans for its future go on show at the park where a tethered balloon will take people aloft for a bird's eye view of the proposals in mind.
You may also want to watch:
The authority has already allocated �5 million towards the restoration and now hopes to use the two-day public event today and tomorrow (Sunday) to pass the final stage in getting National Heritage to lob in another �5m match funding.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
Consultations last year have already brought suggestions including an urban beach, better play areas and sports pitches, a skate-park, an additional caf� and more planting and landscaping.
Proposals for Vicky Park are online here. Final plans will be ready in October before they are submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund in December.