Tower Hamlets taking public for a ride over Vicky Park
THE future of East London’s Victoria Park may depend on a lot of hot air the Town Hall is generating. Council officials are inviting the public to take trips in a hot air balloon over Vicky Park today (Saturday) and tomorrow to see what it looks like from 90ft up
THE future of East London's Victoria Park may depend on a lot of hot air the Town Hall is generating.
Council officials are inviting the public to take trips in a hot air balloon over Vicky Park today (Saturday) and tomorrow to see what it looks like from 90ft up.
It's part of a public consultation by Tower Hamlets which is bidding for Lottery cash to completely restore the park before the 2012 Olympics.
Draft plans for its future go on show at the park where a tethered balloon will take people aloft for a bird's eye view of the proposals in mind.
You may also want to watch:
The authority has already allocated �5 million towards the restoration and now hopes to use the two-day public event today and tomorrow (Sunday) to pass the final stage in getting National Heritage to lob in another �5m match funding.
- 1 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 2 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 3 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 4 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 8 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Joe Gallen full of praise for O's forwards in Bristol Rovers victory
Consultations last year have already brought suggestions including an urban beach, better play areas and sports pitches, a skate-park, an additional caf� and more planting and landscaping.
Proposals for Vicky Park are online here. Final plans will be ready in October before they are submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund in December.