Tower Hamlets teenagers’ qualification launch in East End
A NEW diploma for teenagers who want to work in public service has been announced in London’s East End today, three years before it goes nationwide. Tower Hamlets is one of first 66 areas around the country to operate the Public Services diploma
A NEW diploma for teenagers who want to work in public service has been announced in London’s East End today, three years before it goes nationwide.
Tower Hamlets is one of first 66 areas around the country to operate the Public Services diploma for wannabe police dog handlers, firefighters, museum administrators or housing officers.
It gives youngsters an insight into jobs in public service and equips them with skills for university, college or workplace.
The Diploma is available in Tower Hamlets from September and is being rolled out across the country in 2013.
“It is exactly what the public sector has been crying out for,” said Skills for Justice organisation’s Lis Martin.
You may also want to watch:
“Its a qualification that will channel youngsters into many careers and ensure they’re equipped with relevant knowledge to prepare them for work.”
The Diploma, created by her organisation together with Tower Hamlets Education Business Partnership, is part of the Government’s education reforms for ages 14 to 19, the biggest shake up since the National Curriculum.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 4 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 5 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 6 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 7 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 8 Volunteers patrol streets after Isle of Dogs fatal stabbing
- 9 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
It combines classroom study including maths, English, ICT, personal development and subjects related to public services with hands-on learning in a working environment.