Tower Hamlets Tennis brings free coaching to Victoria Park
Free tennis coaching sessions in Victoria Park have been a hit during the Olympic period.
Tower Hamlets Tennis, the orgranisation facilitating the free tennis, was set up in an attempt to ensure that residents of the borough could benefit from the Games at grassroots level.
The organisation secured funding the Lawn Tennis Association for its latest project to deliver free tennis along with four coaches in Victoria Park and Bethnal Green Gardens during the Games.
Peter Smith, one of the group’s founders, said: “The aim is to broaden participation by providing facilities across the borough, and also to make sure that our funding is used effectively in terms of what we can give back.
“We have had hundreds of people of all ages, shapes and sizes turn up, including quite a few people trying tennis for the first time.”
You may also want to watch:
The facilities will continue to be available after the Olympics at subsidised prices.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets