Tower Hamlets Tories pick their MP hopeful for Bethnal Green and Bow
THE Tower Hamlets Tory party picked their parliamentary candidate yesterday who will be fighting for the Bethnal Green and Bow ward. Head of Community Affairs for the Canary Wharf Group Zakir Khan was selected by residents at an `open primary to compet
THE Tower Hamlets Tory party picked their parliamentary candidate yesterday who will be fighting for the Bethnal Green and Bow ward.
Head of Community Affairs for the Canary Wharf Group Zakir Khan was selected by residents at an `open primary' to compete to replace Respect's George Galloway in the Westminster hot seat in the next general election.
Mr Khan beat off competition from five other candidates to receive more than 50 per cent of the votes in the first round at the St. Hilda's East Community Centre in Bethnal Green and was officially declared the winner with no second round needed.
Mr Khan said: "It is a deep honour to be selected by residents here today who have placed their trust in me.
You may also want to watch:
"I will work hard to repay that trust and I will be their champion. I am confident that we can turn Bethnal Green and Bow blue at the next election."
He will be taking on Labour's Rushanara Ali, Respect's Abjol Miah, Lib Dem's Ajmal Masroor, the Green party's Farid Bakht and the Independent candidate Hasib Hikmat.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom