Tower Hamlets Tory Opposition fires shot against waste’
THE Tory Shadow cabinet at Tower Hamlets council in East London announced today has fired its first warning shot at the new Labour Town Hall administration that it will fight waste and inefficiency’
THE Tory Shadow cabinet at Tower Hamlets council in East London announced today has fired its first warning shot at the new Labour Town Hall administration that it will fight 'waste and inefficiency.'
Council Opposition leader Peter Golds has been re-elected unopposed. He also takes on the Culture & Heritage brief.
"Our intention is to provide a constructive opposition in Tower Hamlets with a strong and experienced team," he told the East London Advertiser today.
"We will support the administration where we believe that it is following policies to the advantage of residents.
You may also want to watch:
"But we will seek to hold them to task where we find there is waste and inefficiency."
He added: "These are difficult times and the council and the country at large face enormous problems, particularly finance."
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 6 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
Deputy leader Tim Archer, who came second to Labour's re-elected MP Jim Fitzpatrick in the May 6 General Election at Poplar & Limehouse, becomes Tory spokesman for Housing & Regeneration.
Opposition Whip Dr Emma Jones takes on Health, Social Services and Welfare, while key Schools & Education brief goes to Zara Davis.
Craig Aston takes on Resources, Mohammed Maium has Community Relations, David Snowdon is given Police and Gloria Thienel leads on Leaseholders.
Today's announcement follows formation of the council's new Labour cabinet, revealed by the Advertiser on Friday.
Now the Tories are seeking to shape the internal changes needed following the first directly elected Mayor for Tower Hamlets, which takes place in October.