Tower Hamlets triumphs at this year’s London cycling awards
THE East End swept the board in this year’s London Cycling Awards with bike projects in Tower Hamlets winning coveted prizes.
Mayor of London Boris Johnson’s Barclays Cycle Hire scheme, which has seen 100,000 users sign up, won this years’ London Cycling Award for Best Cycle Facility but three of the other five main awards were given to projects based in Tower Hamlets.
The Chair of judges, Clare Neely said “The record number of nominations this year shows how many good initiatives there are out there. The cycle hire scheme is well known to most Londoners but the other winners and shortlisted projects are great examples of what can be easily replicated across London in schools, communities and workplaces.”
Tower Hamlets Cycling Club, which offers short Sunday rides for people with disabilities, training for new cyclists, youth racing sessions as well as regular rides for the over 50s won the highly contested award for Best Community Cycling Initiative.
The Streets of Growth bike recycling project sees unclaimed bikes provided by the Met Police refurbished by East London teenagers, unable to afford a bike and keen to learn new skills. The project, based in Bromley-by-Bow won the Best Cycling Initiative for Children or Young People.
You may also want to watch:
The Tower Hamlets Cycle User Group, set up by Tower Hamlets Council won the Best Workplace Cycling Initiative award.
The scheme includes pool bikes, locker rooms, Dr. Bike sessions, cycle training and social cycling events.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 4 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 8 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Joe Gallen full of praise for O's forwards in Bristol Rovers victory