Tower Hamlets Uncut to stage banks protest in Canary Wharf
PROTESTORS will descend on Canary Wharf this evening as they take a ‘guided tour’ of the banks.
Pressure group Tower Hamlets Uncut says it will begin the demonstration at 5.30pm after meeting outside Canary Wharf tube station.
A tour guide with an umbrella will lead proceedings and participants are being encouraged to bring “something loud and a strong sense of justice”.
Among the companies to be targeted on the tour will be Barclays, HSBC, Bank of America, Citigroup and law firm Allen & Overy.
The group, set up by public sector workers in Tower Hamlets, says it is unfair that the council is forced to make �70 million of cuts while Canary Wharf’s companies make such big profits.
“International finance treats Tower Hamlets like a tourist destination, with no regard for the people who live here,” said the group.
“Our ‘guided tour’ will be a creative parody of a tourist tour - interesting and informative, though with a bit more noise!”
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021