Tower of London has its first canon in over 300 years
The first Canon in over 300 years has been sworn in at The Tower of London.
Tower by the Bishop of London, Richard Chartres.
He becomes the first Canon at the Tower since the 17th century.
From 1449 a Dean and two Canons were attached to the Tower directly under the jurisdiction of the monarch.
The Canonry was abolished in the reign of James II in 1685. But The Bishop of London recently asked The Queen to reinstate the Canonry and a Royal Warrant was signed.
You may also want to watch:
Last Thursday (April 5) Rev Canon Hall swore allegiance to The Queen and the Bishop during a service in St John’s Chapel in the ancient White Tower, also known as the ‘Conqueror’s Chapel’ as it was built for William the Conqueror in 1078.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing