Town Hall cuts red tape to help East End’s small firms
SMALL firms in London’s deprived East End are getting the chance for more business with the local authority. A pilot scheme is being tried out by Tower Hamlets council to cut the red tape and encourage suppliers to bid for work
SMALL firms in London's deprived East End are getting the chance for more business with the local authority.
A pilot scheme is being tried out by Tower Hamlets council to cut the red tape and encourage suppliers in the area to bid for work.
Larger contractors are also being urged to consider using small businesses as part of the scheme.
The council is even arranging for small firms to get training on how to deal with large organisations like local authorities.
You may also want to watch:
It will no longer be obligatory for suppliers to apply for accreditation before they are able to do business with the Town Hall, helping smaller firms avoid unnecessary expense and red-tape.
"We are one of the biggest purchasers of goods and services in the East End," said council Cabinet member Ohid Ahmed. "So we want local companies to have every chance to do business, subject to tendering competitively for the work."
Firms wanting more information about supplying the council are being urged to contact the authority's Procurement advice centre online or by phone on 020-7364 4044, or call East London Business Place on 020-7537 6480.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week