Town Hall denies beleaguered Chief has been replaced
TOWN Hall officials have today denied their beleaguered boss Martin Smith has been replaced with an interim’ chief executive in the continuing controversy over his future. Confusion surfaced at last night’s TowerHamlets cabinet meeting when Cllr Abdal Ullah called his deputy Kevan Collins “interim” chief executive
TOWN Hall officials in East London have today denied their beleaguered boss Martin Smith has been replaced with an interim’ chief executive in the continuing controversy over his future.
Confusion surfaced at last night’s Tower Hamlets cabinet meeting when Cllr Abdal Ullah called Martin’s deputy, Kevan Collins, “interim” chief executive and suggested he uses his “new powers” to influence council policy.
Interim’ would indicate there was a vacancy for the post, observers were saying.
You may also want to watch:
But the council has refused to be drawn on whether Mr Smith will return in his role at the end of his leave following Sunday’s EU election count where he was also Tower Hamlets’ official returning officer.
A Town Hall spokeswoman said: “Cllr Ullah was made aware of his mistake in calling Kevan interim’ at last night’s cabinet meeting.”
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 7 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 8 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 9 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Trees now up for 'adoption' to help make East End greener
The deputy was acting as chief executive while Martin Smith is on annual leave, she pointed out.
The controversy erupted more than a week ago over Martin Smith’s future involving the Labour council leader Lutfur Rahman.