Town Hall wants tougher controls on Halal meat
TIGHTER controls on Halal meat are being looked into by public health officials in London’s East End. A campaign for new standards may soon be under way by Tower Hamlets Council which covers an area with a high proportion of Muslims in the population
TIGHTER controls on Halal meat are being looked into by public health officials in London’s East End.
A campaign for new standards may soon be under way by Tower Hamlets Council which covers an area with a high proportion of Muslims in the population.
The Government’s Meat Hygiene Service has the responsibility for the slaughter and quality of all meat sold in Britain.
But the remit does not extend to religious issues relating to slaughter such as Muslim Halal or Jewish Kosher produce.
You may also want to watch:
Halal has two competing meat organisations accrediting abattoirs in East London and elsewhere, which the local authority says is causing public confusion.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
“People never quite know what they’re getting and what interpretation has been used in the production of the meat,” said council cabinet member Abdal Ullah.
“We’ll campaign for greater controls on this and will approach other local authorities and lobby the Food Standards Agency and the Department of Environment to introduce new controls across the board.”
The council is concerned about the differing opinions the two Halal bodies have about interpreting religious slaughter. It has received enquiries from people concerned about the description of Halal meat, as there is no national control over production.