Town halls ready to ban booze in all public parks
ALCOHOL could soon be banned by law in public parks as local authorities prepare to use tough new Government legislation to reclaim’ public places from yobs and binge drinkers. Town halls are planning to use the legislation to introduce discretionary bans
ALCOHOL could soon be banned by law in public parks as local authorities prepare to use tough new Government legislation to 'reclaim' public places from yobs and binge drinkers.
Town halls are planning to use the legislation to introduce discretionary bans.
Local authorities in East London are already tackling drunks in the park with temporary exclusion zones outlawing alcohol in public in many neighbourhoods.
Tower Hamlets has been running temporary 'zero tolerance' zones with the Met Police from time to time in areas including Whitechapel and Spitalfields, while Hackney has been operating a ban in Dalston.
You may also want to watch:
The new legislation allows bylaws to be passed without needing approval by a Government Cabinet minister.
Paul Todd, from the Keep Britain Tidy campaign, said: "Alcohol abuse can deter people from going to parks. But it is important park managers are given discretion to use bans to target anti-social behaviour."
The legislation is designed to stamp out binge drinking, but not affect things like open air concerts, events or family picnics.
- 1 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 2 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 6 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 7 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 8 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision