Tracey threatens to swap East End for Rive Gauche to escape heavy taxes
TRACEY Emin has threatened to ditch the East End in favour of France because of Gordon Brown s new 50 per cent tax rate for the rich. The Turner Prize nominee, 46, who has lived and worked in Spitalfields since the early 1990s, said she is very seriously
TRACEY Emin has threatened to ditch the East End in favour of France because of Gordon Brown's new 50 per cent tax rate for the rich.
The Turner Prize nominee, 46, who has lived and worked in Spitalfields since the early 1990s, said she is "very seriously considering leaving the country" as she is not prepared to pay 50 per cent tax to a Government which she says does not invest enough in arts and culture.
The artist, who lives in Fournier Street and is in the process of redeveloping a large swathe of Spitalfields, already has a holiday home in France where she says artists are made to feel more welcome and the rate of tax for high earners is lower at 40 per cent.
She said: "The French have lower tax rates and they appreciate arts and culture.
You may also want to watch:
"So much here is simply not working now. The taxes are too high, there aren't enough incentives to work hard, and our politicians have put me off. We're paying through the nose for everything."
Ms Emin has invested millions in restoring a 17th century weaving works in Tenter Ground, Spitalfields and converting the building into her home, office and artists' studios.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 7 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 8 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 9 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 10 Volunteers patrol streets after Isle of Dogs fatal stabbing