Trade Union backs Town Hall Chief
A TRADE UNION has come out in support of the Town Hall s beleaguered chief executive after his future has been put in doubt. ALACE has today confirmed that they are in discussions with Tower Hamlets Council over the future employment of Martin Smith. Con
A TRADE UNION has come out in support of the Town Hall's beleaguered chief executive after his future has been put in doubt.
ALACE has today confirmed that they are in discussions with Tower Hamlets Council over the future employment of Martin Smith.
Consultant Richard Penn, a former chief executive at Bradford Council, is now overseeing Martin Smith's case on behalf of the union which serves local authority chiefs.
Penn said: "We're in discussions with the council about his future after Martin had a meeting with the council leader (Lutfur Rahman). Since then he has come to us for support and advice."
You may also want to watch:
A statement has not yet been issued by the Town Hall to explain the situation since doubt was cast over Martin Smith's future despite opposition councillors rallying to support him. The Tories have also been calling on the ruling Labour group to hold an extraordinary council meeting to explain the situation.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 7 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 10 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum