Trade Union backs Town Hall Chief
A TRADE UNION has come out in support of the Town Hall s beleaguered chief executive after his future has been put in doubt. ALACE has today confirmed that they are in discussions with Tower Hamlets Council over the future employment of Martin Smith. Con
A TRADE UNION has come out in support of the Town Hall's beleaguered chief executive after his future has been put in doubt.
ALACE has today confirmed that they are in discussions with Tower Hamlets Council over the future employment of Martin Smith.
Consultant Richard Penn, a former chief executive at Bradford Council, is now overseeing Martin Smith's case on behalf of the union which serves local authority chiefs.
Penn said: "We're in discussions with the council about his future after Martin had a meeting with the council leader (Lutfur Rahman). Since then he has come to us for support and advice."
You may also want to watch:
A statement has not yet been issued by the Town Hall to explain the situation since doubt was cast over Martin Smith's future despite opposition councillors rallying to support him. The Tories have also been calling on the ruling Labour group to hold an extraordinary council meeting to explain the situation.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 10 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower