Trade Union backs Town Hall Chief
A TRADE UNION has come out in support of the Town Hall s beleaguered chief executive after his future has been put in doubt. ALACE has today confirmed that they are in discussions with Tower Hamlets Council over the future employment of Martin Smith. Con
A TRADE UNION has come out in support of the Town Hall's beleaguered chief executive after his future has been put in doubt.
ALACE has today confirmed that they are in discussions with Tower Hamlets Council over the future employment of Martin Smith.
Consultant Richard Penn, a former chief executive at Bradford Council, is now overseeing Martin Smith's case on behalf of the union which serves local authority chiefs.
Penn said: "We're in discussions with the council about his future after Martin had a meeting with the council leader (Lutfur Rahman). Since then he has come to us for support and advice."
You may also want to watch:
A statement has not yet been issued by the Town Hall to explain the situation since doubt was cast over Martin Smith's future despite opposition councillors rallying to support him. The Tories have also been calling on the ruling Labour group to hold an extraordinary council meeting to explain the situation.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 10 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'