Tyler wins London’s ‘top first-year apprentice’ award training at Poplar’s Phoenix building site
- Credit: Fairview New Homes
A talented teenage electrician working on Poplar’s massive Phoenix development site has been named ‘top apprentice’ among her peers.
Tyler Whelan received the award for ‘best first year apprentice’ from K10 Apprenticeships at its annual prizegiving.
The 17-year-old who began training at the site next to the Limehouse Cut only last February beat off competition from 100 other apprentices across London.
“I couldn’t quite believe I had won the award,” a surprised but ambitious Tyler said. “I want to build on this and earn as many industry qualifications as possible.”
She previously enrolled on an acting course at college—but had a change of heart to pursue her love of physics by studying for a Level 3 Electrical Installation qualification.
You may also want to watch:
Tyler trains with sub-contractors and is staying on until construction is complete, having demonstrated natural abilities that make her “an excellent apprentice”, according to Fairview New Homes site manager Amir Heraty. She is eager to learn and interacts well with people on a busy building site.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims