Trio bailed after 'abuse attack' on Galloway
THREE men have been bailed on suspicion of hurling abuse at Respect politician George Galloway as he hit the campaign trail in Shadwell. The men aged 22, 25 and 27 are all from the Bethnal Green and Shoreditch area and were arrested on Saturday after
THREE men have been bailed on suspicion of hurling abuse at Respect politician George Galloway as he hit the campaign trail in Shadwell.
The men aged 22, 25 and 27 are all from the Bethnal Green and Shoreditch area and were arrested on Saturday afternoon on suspicion of using threatening words and behaviour and attempting to lunge at Mr Galloway at Watney Market. They have been bailed until May.
His three-year-old son, eight-year-old grandson and pregnant daughter were all with him at the time.
Kevin Ovenden from the Bethnal Green and Bow MP's office said: "They started shouting and finger pointing. We moved up the market. They came up to try to get to George."
He believed the men the men were shouting insults to deter people from voting because they are opposed to the political process.
He added: "People came out of the shops and remonstrated with them."
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 5 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 8 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
Mr Galloway is one of the candidates hoping to represent Poplar and Limehouse in Parliament.