Tristan and Catherine trek London Underground for MacMillan Cancer
- Credit: Catherine Jones
Tristan Cuthbert had gone round in circles with his girlfriend Catherine Jones when they arrived outside Aldgate Underground station.
The couple went “off the rails” following every mile of the London Underground, ending up back at Aldgate on the Circle Line on Saturday, to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support.
They walked the entire 381-mile network of routes—above ground—finally arriving back at Aldgate after a series of weekend treks over the past nine months.
Then it was home to 30-year-old business analyst Tristan’s flat in Whitechapel, for a nice cup of tea, having raised £3,000 for the charity.
“We’ve seen everything from Phileas Fogg’s house to the Rotherhithe Tunnel,” he recalled.
You may also want to watch:
“There were moments when we’ve been exhausted and wanted to give up—but were determined to raise money which spurred us on.”
Tristan’s granddad died from bowel cancer, while Catherine and her dad have both experienced skin cancer, so they have had first-hand experience of the illness.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 7 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
Their challenge included having to dodge round obstacles like buildings trying to follow the exact routes and the runways at Heathrow Airport.
They covered 11 routes and called at 269 stations, clocking up a staggering 800,000 steps during their challenge that began last June.
Had they walked in a straight line instead, they would have almost reached Edinburgh.
Catherine and Tristan can still be sponsored online for their London Underground walk