Tube lines through east London to benefit from increased capacity
- Credit: Archant
Extra capacity on four Tube lines running through east London and longer trains on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) are among the improvements to the capital’s transport network outlined in the Mayor of London’s draft business plan.
The report, due to be discussed by the Transport for London (TfL) board on Thursday, details a five-year plan set to be delivered by cutting “flabby” waste and making efficiencies of £800million a year.
Sadiq Khan’s proposals suggest resignalling a number of Tube lines to accommodate extra trains, boosting capacity on the Jubilee line by 17 per cent, and on the District and Hammersmith and City lines by 33pc.
The Central line will see a capacity boost of 60pc, with new trains arriving on the line in 2023.
The DLR, which has seen a 50pc rise in journeys over the past five years, will see £301m set aside to improve the network and fund 43 new, longer trains, boosting capacity by around 30pc.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Khan said: “The greatest city in the world must also have a genuinely world-class transport system, and this is vital for the future success of London’s economy.
“In reorganising a flabby TfL and finding major efficiency savings within the organisation, we’re securing this record investment without burdening Londoners with further hikes in TfL fares.”
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single