Tube passengers to go ‘on line’ as 80 London stations get free WiFi
Eighty stations on the London Underground are getting free WiFi connections next month, Transport for London has announced this -mortning.
Millions of commuters and visitors coming for the 2012 Olympics will be able to connect with the internet at stations for up-to-the-minute travel information or link up to social media while waiting at the platform, even deep underground.
The Wifi system is being installed by Virgin Media in a deal with TfL which won’t add anything to fares.
Virgin Media’s Jon James said: “We’ve been working round-the-clock to install and test the WiFi and are about to connect some iconic and world-famous stations to the internet.”
The first 80 stations to be connected at the end of July are:
You may also want to watch:
Aldgate East, Angel, Archway, Arsenal
Barbican, Bayswater, Bermondsey, Bethnal Green, Blackhorse Road, Borough, Brixton
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Canning Town, Caledonian Road, Canary Wharf, Camden Town, Canada Water, Chancery Lane, Charing Cross, Clapham North, Covent Garden
Edgware Road (Circle), Elephant & Castle, Embankment, Euston, Euston Square
Goodge Street, Green Park
Hammersmith (Dist/Pic), Heathrow (both), High Street Kensington, Highbury & Islington, Holborn, Holland Park, Hyde Park Corner
Kentish Town, Kings Cross-St Pancras
Lambeth North, Lancaster Gate, Leicester Square, Liverpool Street, London Bridge
Manor House, Mansion House, Marble Arch, Marylebone, Mile End
Old Street, Oval, Oxford Circus
Paddington (Main), Piccadilly Circus, Pimlico
Queensway, Regents Park
Seven Sisters, Southfields, Southwark, St James Park, St Johns Wood, Stratford, Stepney Green, Stockwell, St Paul’s, Swiss Cottage
Temple, Tottenham Hale, Tower Hill, Tufnell Park
Walthamstow Central, Warren Street, Warwick Avenue, Waterloo, Wembley Central, Wembley Park, West Ham, Westminster and Wimbledon Park.