Tube passengers to go ‘on line’ as 80 London stations get free WiFi
Eighty stations on the London Underground are getting free WiFi connections next month, Transport for London has announced this -mortning.
Millions of commuters and visitors coming for the 2012 Olympics will be able to connect with the internet at stations for up-to-the-minute travel information or link up to social media while waiting at the platform, even deep underground.
The Wifi system is being installed by Virgin Media in a deal with TfL which won’t add anything to fares.
Virgin Media’s Jon James said: “We’ve been working round-the-clock to install and test the WiFi and are about to connect some iconic and world-famous stations to the internet.”
The first 80 stations to be connected at the end of July are:
You may also want to watch:
Aldgate East, Angel, Archway, Arsenal
Barbican, Bayswater, Bermondsey, Bethnal Green, Blackhorse Road, Borough, Brixton
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 6 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Man found stabbed on board night bus
Canning Town, Caledonian Road, Canary Wharf, Camden Town, Canada Water, Chancery Lane, Charing Cross, Clapham North, Covent Garden
Edgware Road (Circle), Elephant & Castle, Embankment, Euston, Euston Square
Goodge Street, Green Park
Hammersmith (Dist/Pic), Heathrow (both), High Street Kensington, Highbury & Islington, Holborn, Holland Park, Hyde Park Corner
Kentish Town, Kings Cross-St Pancras
Lambeth North, Lancaster Gate, Leicester Square, Liverpool Street, London Bridge
Manor House, Mansion House, Marble Arch, Marylebone, Mile End
Old Street, Oval, Oxford Circus
Paddington (Main), Piccadilly Circus, Pimlico
Queensway, Regents Park
Seven Sisters, Southfields, Southwark, St James Park, St Johns Wood, Stratford, Stepney Green, Stockwell, St Paul’s, Swiss Cottage
Temple, Tottenham Hale, Tower Hill, Tufnell Park
Walthamstow Central, Warren Street, Warwick Avenue, Waterloo, Wembley Central, Wembley Park, West Ham, Westminster and Wimbledon Park.