Tube staff work round the clock on Christmas engineering
TRANSPORT for London says it will be working non-stop over Christmas to improve the Capital’s transport network.
Although there will be no services on the Tube, DLR, London Overground, Tramlink and bus networks on Christmas Day, the Tube’s track current will be kept on, bus garages will be staffed and works on improving the network will continue throughout the festive period.
Tube staff will work day and night at stations, depots, on trains and on tracks - with maintenance trains and staff taking advantage of the annual closure.
TfL says Christmas Day is a perfect time for routine maintenance works to take place, and for new trains and signalling systems to be tested as this minimises disruption to passengers.
Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor of London’s transport adviser, said: “While millions of Londoners spend time with their loved ones on Christmas Day a small army of transport workers will be hard at work on the vital improvements we are making to the Capital’s public transport networks.
You may also want to watch:
“Their efforts are yet further evidence of the determination not to waste a minute that could be devoted to providing better services in London.”
London Underground chief operation officer Howard Collins said: “London Underground always looks to minimise closures and disruption to passenger services.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 3 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
“Christmas Day is a great way to continue improvement works whilst not affecting passenger journeys.
“Our staff will be working around the clock to continue to make improvements to London’s transport network.”