Tube staff work round the clock on Christmas engineering
TRANSPORT for London says it will be working non-stop over Christmas to improve the Capital’s transport network.
Although there will be no services on the Tube, DLR, London Overground, Tramlink and bus networks on Christmas Day, the Tube’s track current will be kept on, bus garages will be staffed and works on improving the network will continue throughout the festive period.
Tube staff will work day and night at stations, depots, on trains and on tracks - with maintenance trains and staff taking advantage of the annual closure.
TfL says Christmas Day is a perfect time for routine maintenance works to take place, and for new trains and signalling systems to be tested as this minimises disruption to passengers.
Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor of London’s transport adviser, said: “While millions of Londoners spend time with their loved ones on Christmas Day a small army of transport workers will be hard at work on the vital improvements we are making to the Capital’s public transport networks.
You may also want to watch:
“Their efforts are yet further evidence of the determination not to waste a minute that could be devoted to providing better services in London.”
London Underground chief operation officer Howard Collins said: “London Underground always looks to minimise closures and disruption to passenger services.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
“Christmas Day is a great way to continue improvement works whilst not affecting passenger journeys.
“Our staff will be working around the clock to continue to make improvements to London’s transport network.”