Tube ticket offices face axe at Canary Wharf and Aldgate East’
UNDERGROUND stations in the City and East London are on a hit list’ to have ticket offices closed, a London Assembly member warns. They include the prestigious Canary Wharf and Aldgate East, according to a leaked document John Biggs says he has seen
UNDERGROUND stations in the City and East London are on a hit list’ to have ticket offices closed, a London Assembly member warns.
They include the prestigious Canary Wharf on the Jubilee Line and Aldgate East on the District and Hammersmith & City, according to a leaked document Assembly member John Biggs says he has seen.
Both stations each have two ticket offices and face losing one of them, he has learned from consultation proposals from Transport for London.
“The Mayor plans cutting 450 jobs from ticket offices,” he said. “Opening hours at hundreds of station ticket offices are being reduced.
You may also want to watch:
“People value the presence of staff and will feel less comfortable about using the Underground late at night.”
The documents seen by John Biggs, whose City & East London constituency includes three stations on the hit’ list, reveal plans to close the eastern ticket hall at Canary Wharf and one of the ticket offices at Aldgate East, as well as the ticket office at Cannon Street on the District and Circle lines.
He makes his claim despite Boris Johnson’s pledge at Mayor’s Question Time on Wednesday: “No ticket office will be closed. They are not going to be closed.”
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
Other stations on the District Line in John Biggs’ City & East London constituency are to have ticket office opening hours dramatically reduced, he says, at Bromley-by-Bow, Upney, Becontree, Dagenham East and Hornchurch.