Tube ticket offices face axe at Canary Wharf and Aldgate East’
UNDERGROUND stations in the City and East London are on a hit list’ to have ticket offices closed, a London Assembly member warns. They include the prestigious Canary Wharf and Aldgate East, according to a leaked document John Biggs says he has seen
UNDERGROUND stations in the City and East London are on a hit list’ to have ticket offices closed, a London Assembly member warns.
They include the prestigious Canary Wharf on the Jubilee Line and Aldgate East on the District and Hammersmith & City, according to a leaked document Assembly member John Biggs says he has seen.
Both stations each have two ticket offices and face losing one of them, he has learned from consultation proposals from Transport for London.
“The Mayor plans cutting 450 jobs from ticket offices,” he said. “Opening hours at hundreds of station ticket offices are being reduced.
You may also want to watch:
“People value the presence of staff and will feel less comfortable about using the Underground late at night.”
The documents seen by John Biggs, whose City & East London constituency includes three stations on the hit’ list, reveal plans to close the eastern ticket hall at Canary Wharf and one of the ticket offices at Aldgate East, as well as the ticket office at Cannon Street on the District and Circle lines.
He makes his claim despite Boris Johnson’s pledge at Mayor’s Question Time on Wednesday: “No ticket office will be closed. They are not going to be closed.”
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
Other stations on the District Line in John Biggs’ City & East London constituency are to have ticket office opening hours dramatically reduced, he says, at Bromley-by-Bow, Upney, Becontree, Dagenham East and Hornchurch.