Tumour girl travels from Zimbabwe for Royal London treatment
A TEENAGE girl who has endured a five-year battle with a growing facial tumour has been flown over from Zimbabwe for life-saving surgery at the Royal London Hospital. Nomatter Taremedzwa Mapungwana, 18, who struggles to breathe and eat because of the ben
A TEENAGE girl who has endured a five-year battle with a growing facial tumour has been flown over from Zimbabwe for life-saving surgery at the Royal London Hospital.
Nomatter Taremedzwa Mapungwana, 18, who struggles to breathe and eat because of the benign tumour which is growing around her mouth, has travelled thousands of miles to the East End for an emergency operation by a Royal London consultant.
The A-level student, known as Tare, has recently deteriorated but she was contacted by Ian Hutchison, one of the country's leading facial reconstruction surgeons, who offered to do the operation for free.
And with the help of the charity Girl Child Network Worldwide which works to protect young girls in Zimbabwe, �10,000 was raised to pay for Tare and her mum's trip to England and for the rest of her hospital treatment.
You may also want to watch:
President Betty Makoni told the Advertiser: "She has got everything she needs in the hospital to the lead up to the operation on Saturday, which makes us happy.
"Tare is the most brilliant girl in Zimbabwe."
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
Visit www.girlchildnetworkworldwide.org to make a donation.