Turning traffic blackspot green’ wins award for Town Hall
A SCHEME turning one of London’s busiest traffic gyratory systems into a new public open space with shops and homes has won a planning award for the local authority. The Aldgate Masterplan has scooped the Best Conceptual Project’ accolade at this year’s London Planning awards
A SCHEME turning one of London’s busiest traffic gyratory systems into a new public open space with shops and homes has won a planning award for the local authority.
The Aldgate Masterplan has scooped the Best Conceptual Project’ accolade for Tower Hamlets council at this year’s London Planning awards.
Part of Whitechapel’s infamous traffic blackspot known as the Aldgate gyratory’ has been closed off, close to where the busy A11 and A13 cross over the London Ring Road, once known as Gardiner’s Corner for the former department store symbolising the gateway to the East End’ from the City.
The gyratory was scrapped last year and traffic returned to two-way flow along Whitechapel High Street, after 40 years, freeing up a space where a new public park is being laid out ready for November. The park is being paid for by planning gain’ money from property developers in exchange for local authority planning permits.
You may also want to watch:
London Mayor Boris Johnson described the scheme as a contribution to the capital’s role as a major world city.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single