Two held by police after night-time weapons haul in Hoxton
- Credit: MPS
A haul of weapons including machetes and knives have been seized by police stopping a vehicle late last night in London’s East End, Scotland Yard reports.
Officers stopped the vehicle in Hoxton Square near Shoreditch Village Hall, off Old Street, at 11.15pm after a tip-off that the people inside were armed.
They found two machetes, a lock knife and a kitchen knife when searching it.
Two men were arrested at the scene for possession of offensive weapons and are being held in custody at a north London police station.
“Those who choose to carry knives on our streets will be arrested,” Insp James Hawkins warned. “We have removed four potentially lethal weapons from circulation.”
You may also want to watch:
The weapons seizure comes after phase seven of the Met’s Operation Sceptre concluded on Sunday night.
The week-long operation was the Met’s response to habitual knife carriers and knife crime. Figures show 262 arrests and 111 knives recovered during weapon sweeps, ‘stop and search’ and tracing anyone wanted for knife offences and violent crime.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals