Two men held after 80 birds and a dog found dead in East London
TWO men have been arrested in East London following the deaths of 80 birds and a dog at Wanstead Flats. They are being quizzed by this-afternoon by officers from the Met Police Wildlife crime unit investigating the incident
TWO men have been arrested in East London following the deaths of 80 birds and a dog at Wanstead Flats.
They are being quizzed by this-afternoon (Tues) by officers from the Met Police Wildlife crime unit investigating the incident.
The men, aged 35 and 27, were arrested in Forest Gate nearby at 8am on suspicion of breaching pesticide control regulations and taken to an East London police.
Analysis by the Veterinary Laboratory Agency of samples taken from Wanstead Flats last week has not yet been completed. It is too early to confirm the cause of wildlife death, Scotland Yard said this-evening.
All the birds died in the area around Alexandra Lake near Aldersbrook Road. Officers are working with Natural England and City of London forest keepers in an attempt to establish the circumstances of the deaths.
The land around the lake remains cordoned off and dog walkers are being asked to keep their pets on a lead.
- 1 Bow flat fire caused by sunlight on glass bottle
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 4 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 5 Crossrail: Canary Wharf station ready as Elizabeth Line nears opening
- 6 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 9 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 10 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
The dog that died was a five-year-old male German Shepherd cross, while several species of birds that were killed included geese, pigeons and coots.