Search

Unattended candle starts Poplar fire that left woman needing medical treatment

PUBLISHED: 11:03 24 April 2017 | UPDATED: 11:03 24 April 2017

Fire crews were called to a block of flats in Poplar. Picture: Twitter@LondonFire

Fire crews were called to a block of flats in Poplar. Picture: Twitter@LondonFire

Archant

An unattended candle is believed to have caused a fire at a flat in Poplar which left a woman needing medical treatment.

Last week, firefighters were called to a block of flats in East India Dock where four people had escaped before their arrival

However one woman was treated at the scene by paramedics.

Investigators from the London Fire Brigade (LFB) believe the blaze which damaged the second-floor flat was started by a candle left unattended.

A LFB spokesman said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”

Fire crews were called to the blaze last Wednesday at 6pm and had it under control in 90 minutes.

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists