Viewpoint: I will be monitoring probe into claims of electoral fraud in 2014
- Credit: Archant
Congratulations to Mayor John Biggs for being re-elected as mayor and to all our Tower Hamlets Councillors.
I spent part of election day in the borough observing the electoral operation. I also observed most of the count.
Though there were some issues, overall the town hall deserve credit for conducting a fair and transparent election compared to the shambles of 2014.
A key part of my work on the London Assembly’s Police and Crime Committee has been working with the inquiry into the 2014 election.
I shall continue monitoring the Police investigation into this to help ensure the integrity of our democratic processes.
You may also want to watch:
On a very different note, I recently visited the Thames Tideway tunnel project in Wapping.
Our antiquated Victorian sewage system means that rainwater gets mixed with raw sewage, all of which goes into the river. Once the works are completed by 2023 90 per cent of the 10,000 tonnes of sewage will be treated, meaning a cleaner river for us to enjoy, as well as other environmental benefits and jobs.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 10 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage