From City Hall: Disappointed by spending review
Unmesh Desai AM, City and East
- Credit: City Hall
With the latest announcement of Tier 4 restrictions in London, I know many people will be feeling disheartened, but I know the East End can maintain the community spirit we’ve seen all year.
Please keep following guidance from the government and the council – the wider rollout of the vaccine will allow life to begin to return to normal, so please stay safe for now.
My work over the last few months on the Assembly’s economy and health committees has focused on mitigating the pandemic’s effects until then.
I am disappointed with the government’s spending review and the country being asked to tolerate more public sector pay restraint, when so many have given so much this year.
Although Assembly members have contributed what we can by freezing our own pay, frontline workers should not face the same.
You may also want to watch:
Best wishes for the New Year. Stay safe.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 6 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom