UPDATE: 48-year-old man arrested after Bethnal Green pensioner road death
A 48-year-old man has been arrested following the death of an elderly woman on a Bethnal Green road last week.
The pensioner, who was aged 84, was on a mobility scooter when she was hit close to the junction of Bethnal Green Road and Ellsworth Street just before 3pm on Friday.
Her next of kin have been informed but police are waiting for the post-mortem examination to take place before identifying the woman.
Two police officers were on the scene within moments of the collision and the woman was taken by ambulance to the Royal London Hospital.
She died shortly afterwards at 4.10pm.
You may also want to watch:
Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.
The man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and taken to an east London police station and he has been bailed to return later this month.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
Contact the Road Death Investigation Unit at Chadwell Heath Traffic Garage on 020 8597 4874 with information.