UPDATE: 48-year-old man arrested after Bethnal Green pensioner road death
A 48-year-old man has been arrested following the death of an elderly woman on a Bethnal Green road last week.
The pensioner, who was aged 84, was on a mobility scooter when she was hit close to the junction of Bethnal Green Road and Ellsworth Street just before 3pm on Friday.
Her next of kin have been informed but police are waiting for the post-mortem examination to take place before identifying the woman.
Two police officers were on the scene within moments of the collision and the woman was taken by ambulance to the Royal London Hospital.
She died shortly afterwards at 4.10pm.
You may also want to watch:
Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.
The man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and taken to an east London police station and he has been bailed to return later this month.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
Contact the Road Death Investigation Unit at Chadwell Heath Traffic Garage on 020 8597 4874 with information.