UPDATE: 48-year-old man arrested after Bethnal Green pensioner road death
A 48-year-old man has been arrested following the death of an elderly woman on a Bethnal Green road last week.
The pensioner, who was aged 84, was on a mobility scooter when she was hit close to the junction of Bethnal Green Road and Ellsworth Street just before 3pm on Friday.
Her next of kin have been informed but police are waiting for the post-mortem examination to take place before identifying the woman.
Two police officers were on the scene within moments of the collision and the woman was taken by ambulance to the Royal London Hospital.
She died shortly afterwards at 4.10pm.
You may also want to watch:
Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.
The man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and taken to an east London police station and he has been bailed to return later this month.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
- 8 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
Contact the Road Death Investigation Unit at Chadwell Heath Traffic Garage on 020 8597 4874 with information.