UPDATE: Police name Shadwell arson victims
The two men who were killed in a suspected arson attack in Shadwell earlier this week have been named by police.
They were 80-year-old Ram Bhasin and his lodger, 29-year-old Sunil Koosuru.
Police, London Fire Brigade and the London Ambulance Service were called the fire at 1.20am on Monday where they found the bodies of two men in the Chapman Street maisonette.
Post-mortem examinations took place at Poplar Mortuary on Tuesday 8 March and gave cause of death for both men as smoke inhalation.
Aaron Bhasin, 52, was charged with two counts of murder and one count of arson with intent to endanger life on Wednesday. Police believe he is Mr Bhasin’s son
You may also want to watch:
He appeared in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Thursday).
The incident is being investigated by the Homicide and Serious Crime Command under Det Chief Insp Stephen Clayman.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 6 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 7 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 10 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week