UPDATE: Police name Shadwell arson victims
The two men who were killed in a suspected arson attack in Shadwell earlier this week have been named by police.
They were 80-year-old Ram Bhasin and his lodger, 29-year-old Sunil Koosuru.
Police, London Fire Brigade and the London Ambulance Service were called the fire at 1.20am on Monday where they found the bodies of two men in the Chapman Street maisonette.
Post-mortem examinations took place at Poplar Mortuary on Tuesday 8 March and gave cause of death for both men as smoke inhalation.
Aaron Bhasin, 52, was charged with two counts of murder and one count of arson with intent to endanger life on Wednesday. Police believe he is Mr Bhasin’s son
You may also want to watch:
He appeared in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Thursday).
The incident is being investigated by the Homicide and Serious Crime Command under Det Chief Insp Stephen Clayman.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 8 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park