UPDATE: Police name Shadwell arson victims
The two men who were killed in a suspected arson attack in Shadwell earlier this week have been named by police.
They were 80-year-old Ram Bhasin and his lodger, 29-year-old Sunil Koosuru.
Police, London Fire Brigade and the London Ambulance Service were called the fire at 1.20am on Monday where they found the bodies of two men in the Chapman Street maisonette.
Post-mortem examinations took place at Poplar Mortuary on Tuesday 8 March and gave cause of death for both men as smoke inhalation.
Aaron Bhasin, 52, was charged with two counts of murder and one count of arson with intent to endanger life on Wednesday. Police believe he is Mr Bhasin’s son
You may also want to watch:
He appeared in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Thursday).
The incident is being investigated by the Homicide and Serious Crime Command under Det Chief Insp Stephen Clayman.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start