Urban anglers try to land big fish in Canary Wharf
THERE were big fish to catch as birds of prey circled over the East End s financial district last week. Urban angler John Andrews fished in the waters around Canary Wharf as part of a nature festival to celebrate the run up to the 2012 Olympics on Wednesd
THERE were big fish to catch as birds of prey circled over the East End's financial district last week.
Urban angler John Andrews fished in the waters around Canary Wharf as part of a nature festival to celebrate the run up to the 2012 Olympics on Wednesday last week.
Bird watchers spotted birds of prey from the rooftop of London's tallest building, One Canada Square, where they saw buzzards, kestrels and peregrine falcons, and there was a guided nature walk through the Canary Wharf Estate as well as talks about rural pursuits in the urban environment.
The Create10 festival's converted library van, which takes people on rural adventures around east London, was on hand at Cabot Square where people listened to two nature-inspired sound installations by Underworld and The Manic Street Preachers, and 'Urban Birder' David Lindo gave a talk about bird spotting.
You may also want to watch:
In the evening foragers went on an expedition around Victoria Park to see what wild food they could find in the inner city.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 10 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries