Urban anglers try to land big fish in Canary Wharf
THERE were big fish to catch as birds of prey circled over the East End s financial district last week. Urban angler John Andrews fished in the waters around Canary Wharf as part of a nature festival to celebrate the run up to the 2012 Olympics on Wednesd
THERE were big fish to catch as birds of prey circled over the East End's financial district last week.
Urban angler John Andrews fished in the waters around Canary Wharf as part of a nature festival to celebrate the run up to the 2012 Olympics on Wednesday last week.
Bird watchers spotted birds of prey from the rooftop of London's tallest building, One Canada Square, where they saw buzzards, kestrels and peregrine falcons, and there was a guided nature walk through the Canary Wharf Estate as well as talks about rural pursuits in the urban environment.
The Create10 festival's converted library van, which takes people on rural adventures around east London, was on hand at Cabot Square where people listened to two nature-inspired sound installations by Underworld and The Manic Street Preachers, and 'Urban Birder' David Lindo gave a talk about bird spotting.
You may also want to watch:
In the evening foragers went on an expedition around Victoria Park to see what wild food they could find in the inner city.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse