USA plans East London 2012 Olympics invasion landings
THE Yanks are coming! They are landing in East London to create their own beachhead’ ready for the London 2012 Olympics invasion
THE Yanks are coming! They are landing in East London to create their own beachhead’ ready for the London 2012 Olympics invasion.
The US Olympic Committee is taking over part of the University of East London’s campuses at the Royal Docks and Stratford, just a javelin throw from the Olympics Park, as its base for athlete training.
More than 1,000 athletes, coaches, scientists, medical practitioners and support staff are to use university’s state-of-the-art facilities.
University vice chancellor Patrick McGhee said: “Hosting some of the world’s greatest athletes in their preparations for 2012 is an inspiration for our youngsters. It’s an opportunity to build a sports legacy that will continue beyond 2012.”
Team USA will be using the halls of residence, setting up onsite sports science, medicine and media centres as their operational base. They will also use the new �18 million sports and academic centre at the Docklands campus due to open next year with its gym and fitness suite, a large indoor sports arena, 10 badminton courts, two competition basketball, volleyball and netball courts, cricket bays, two five-a-side football pitches, sports caf� and covered seating for 400 people.
- 1 Work begins on £300m Chrisp Street Market redevelopment
- 2 Council houses named after Matchgirls Strike leader
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 5 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 6 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 7 Met officer sacked for concealing proceeds of husband's crimes
- 8 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 9 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 10 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets