USA plans East London 2012 Olympics invasion landings
THE Yanks are coming! They are landing in East London to create their own beachhead’ ready for the London 2012 Olympics invasion
THE Yanks are coming! They are landing in East London to create their own beachhead’ ready for the London 2012 Olympics invasion.
The US Olympic Committee is taking over part of the University of East London’s campuses at the Royal Docks and Stratford, just a javelin throw from the Olympics Park, as its base for athlete training.
More than 1,000 athletes, coaches, scientists, medical practitioners and support staff are to use university’s state-of-the-art facilities.
University vice chancellor Patrick McGhee said: “Hosting some of the world’s greatest athletes in their preparations for 2012 is an inspiration for our youngsters. It’s an opportunity to build a sports legacy that will continue beyond 2012.”
You may also want to watch:
Team USA will be using the halls of residence, setting up onsite sports science, medicine and media centres as their operational base. They will also use the new �18 million sports and academic centre at the Docklands campus due to open next year with its gym and fitness suite, a large indoor sports arena, 10 badminton courts, two competition basketball, volleyball and netball courts, cricket bays, two five-a-side football pitches, sports caf� and covered seating for 400 people.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene