Search

Vacuum cleaner blamed for £10m Cutty Sark blaze

PUBLISHED: 13:31 30 September 2008 | UPDATED: 13:39 05 October 2010

A fire which caused £10m damage to the Cutty Sark was sparked by electrical machinery, police have said. Police said an industrial vacuum cleaner accidentally left switched on for two days caused the blaze. The fire caused serious damage to the 19th Cen

A fire which caused £10m damage to the Cutty Sark was sparked by electrical machinery, police have said.

Police said an industrial vacuum cleaner accidentally left switched on for two days caused the blaze.

The fire caused serious damage to the 19th Century ship, based in Greenwich, south-east London, in May last year.

Conservation work was taking place on the vessel at the time, and the fire damage raised the total cost of the ongoing restoration by £10m to £35m.

The vacuum cleaner was being used to remove waste from the ship as part of a renovation work.

Investigators said it had been left running throughout the weekend before the fire broke out in the early hours of Monday 21 May, 2007.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser