Vandals target memorial to war dead
CAMPAIGNERS have highlighted vandalism on a memorial put up to honour civilians who were killed in the wartime bombing campaign on London. The sculpture in the shape of a dove – the internationally recognised peace symbol has been marked with tags recent
CAMPAIGNERS have highlighted vandalism on a memorial put up to honour civilians who were killed in the wartime bombing campaign on London.
The sculpture in the shape of a dove - the internationally recognised peace symbol has been marked with tags recently.
It was unveiled at the Hermitage Wharf in Wapping by the then communities secretary Hazel Blears in July 2008. She joined Alf Roffey who had served on fire watch duty in Wapping during the Blitz to cut the ribbon and unveil the sculpture.
Geoff Juden who is a Lib Dem hopeful to represent Wapping on the council said: "People campaigned long and hard to put up the memorial to honour the war dead in East London. It is a concern that it has been vandalised."
You may also want to watch:
The wharf was the scene of a wartime disaster when people taking cover in a bomb shelter were killed.
When new homes were built at the wharf off Wapping High Street the developers gave �25,000 towards a memorial to the war dead.
- 1 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 2 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 3 Two men rescued from Shadwell flat fire
- 4 Truman Brewery offices, shops and restaurants plan gets green light
- 5 Truman's Brewery future being debated at Tower Hamlets Council
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 8 Rape victim speaks out as Met Police relaunch Ask for Angela scheme
- 9 Councillor ex-husband of MP Apsana Begum suspended from Labour Party
- 10 Call to remain vigilant after gay man killed in park in Mile End
The Hermitage Environment Group raised the remaining �55,000 needed for the sculpture by internationally known artist Bow resident Wendy Taylor whose statue timepiece can be seen by Tower Bridge.