Victoria Park going for second national award in two years
- Credit: Archant
Victoria Park is in the running to be crowned the nation’s favourite green space for the second year in a row.
The ‘People’s Park’ is one of eight in Tower Hamlets to be nominated for the national People’s Choice Award, run by environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy.
The vast swathe of greenery was created in 1845 in response to public outcry of the lack of green spaces in the industrial East End, and was London’s first public park.
And it continues to represent a 212 acre open space in the heart of east London. It is now home to 4,000 trees and numerous expanses of water– including a boating lake which was reinstated last year following a three decade absence.
The park – which has been given £12million worth of investment in recent years - is competing with green spaces across the UK for this year’s accolade, having fought off competition from 1,425 rival parks in last year’s public vote.
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman said: “Our parks and open spaces are a vital part of the community, providing essential play and leisure facilities and I am delighted our parks are once again up for nomination to be crowned the nation’s favourite park.”
The other green spaces in Tower Hamlets competing for the title are Island Gardens, Millwall Park, St George’s Gardens, King Edwards Memorial Park, Mile End Park, Trinity Square Gardens and Weavers Fields.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
Voting is open until October 1, with a winner due to be announced on October 9. To vote for Vicky Park, visit: http://greenflag.keepbritaintidy.org/park-summary/?ParkID=1577
What do you love about Victoria Park? Share your views at www.facebook.co.uk/eastlondonadvertiser, or on Twitter at @eladvertiser.
To view a photo gallery featuring some of our favourite scenes from the park, click the link on the right hand side of the page.