Victoria Park misses out on Keep Britain Tidy award for UK’s favourite
- Credit: Archant
Victoria Park narrowly missed out on being crowned Britain’s favourite park for the second year running after a national poll.
The ‘People’s Park’ landed second place in the Green Flag Awards, run by environmental group Keep Britain Tidy, following six weeks of voting.
Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park was also among the borough’s triumphant green spaces, coming in at 25 in the list of the country’s favourites at a central London ceremony last week.
Paul Todd, who oversaw the awards, praised all of those parks recognised at the ceremony.
“Winning a Green Flag Award is testament to the hard work of local authorities and the managers of public green space up and down the country and the People’s Choice Award shows them just how much that hard work is appreciated by the public,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Victoria Park landed top spot in the awards last year. This year’s winner was Margam Country Park in south Wales.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift