Victoria Park Reindeer Run cancelled
Bad weather has led to the cancellation of a fancy-dress Reindeer Run in Victoria Park which was scheduled for Sunday (December 5).
Runners were set to tackle 5k and 10k runs in full reindeer costume to raise funds for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI).
But weather conditions which would give real reindeers second thought have led organisers to call off the event, which is now scheduled for January 23 at the same location.
The RNLI has called of a number of its 13 country-wide runs which were planned on the same day.
All those who were due to take part are automatically entered into next year’s event.
You may also want to watch:
Samantha Kay, RNLI Events manager, said: ‘It is really unfortunate, but we just felt we had no option.
“We deliberately waited until closer to the weekend in the hope that the snow might have melted and the weather forecast improved.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
“However, this isn’t the case.
“The paths in Victoria Park are still very icy and we felt that we couldn’t justify asking 400 or so people to come down and run in such conditions.”
Fundraisers can still sign up for the January run by visiting rnli.org.uk/reindeer.